INDABA 2021 – A RIGHT TO VOTE
Flagstaff Community Advice Centre conducted a Community Political Indaba at Lusikisiki (as per demarcation) under Ingquza Hill Local Municipality on the 20 October 2021. The organisation invited 09 Political Parties who have leaders within the community. The event was at Bonginkosi Nongoma Hall at Mfinizweni / Taflibanzi location under Lusikisiki location. The organisation budgeted for 200 community members including political party leaders but encountered a short fall of 190 attendees including paralegal staff members, political parties were busy campaigning for elections. The event was successfully with clear manifestos of political parties.
INDABA THEME # A RIGHT TO VOTE #
Community Political Indaba was official opened by the South African National Anthem (Hobe Wesizwe) by Mr Mabhoza (board of directors)
Welcoming note was done by: Fundraising officer of the board Mr Maboza who welcomed all parties, community at large and Human Right organisations.
Mr Zolile Mbono the Non-partisan chairperson of the day introduced stakeholders and the Inkonjane Community Radio Station Journalist who attended with the purpose of publicising the outcomes of the event to the public.
Non-partisan chairperson addressed political parties according to the list in the agenda or program of the day and nominated a time keeper to ensure time management for the presentation of manifestos is kept.
Each political party was allocated five minutes to introduce its manifesto.
- AFRICAN TRANSFORMATION MOVEMENT PRESENTED BY MR HLATHI
ATM STATED THESE FOLLOWING ON WHY PEOPLE SHOULD CONTINUE VOTING TO IT.
ATM said that people of South Africa have a choice to make in 2021 Local Government Elections. People must not return back to parties well known for corruption, incompetency and poor service delivery. People may continue to watch political party that elite getting richer and poorer or alternatively people. Traditional leaders must have a monthly salary because of their work overload. VOTE FOR ATM FOR A BETTER TOMORROW.
- AFRICAN PEOPLES CONVENTION BY THOLLY NTSHANGASE PROVINCIAL SECRETORY PRESENTED THE MANIFESTO
APC promised people about good security by installing street lights in Flagstaff, Lusikisiki towns and in communities. Conflict resolution socially and nationally. Job creation and the growth of the economy through agriculture projects and food security programs. Building Industrialization, infrastructure, oil and gas industry. Improve Education, Health care, senior citizens, youth, sport grounds and culture. Women empowerment, environment foreign policy.
- ANC PRENTATION BY MR PATRICK MDINGI
Said promotion and building sports ground at Mantlaneni and Holly Cross communities .ANC promised to fight the corruption amongst community leaders and inside the local and district municipalities .ANC will made free basic services including water , sanitation and electricity .Promised with accountability to communities .Working together strategy with National , provincial ,local municipalities and communities at large .Fast tracking that land reform and rural development .Improve quality of leadership in local government and do things differently .To fight corruption and wastage ,Violence against women and girls in our societies must be stopped and defeat the toxic culture of patriarchy . ANC SAID # BUILDING BETTER COMMUNITIES TOGETHER.
- DA PRESENTATION BY MR MABASA
Ensuring the clean running water and sanitation to communities. Provide hygienically environment. Give residents their feedback after the elections. Create and maintain public space for all. Job creation to youth and provide skills. Promising job opportunities (Fair access to jobs). Fair Policing with education, Eliminates corruption and bribes. A SAID # VOTE FOR CHANGE
- EFF PRESENTED BY MR SAPHO
EFF will build clinic at ward 11 at lusikisiki that will open 24 hours. EFF will install street lights at Ingquza Hill Local Municipality. EFF will establish a specialized team to look at the functionality of Magwa tea factory for the production of tea. EFF will establish timber company as a creation of job opportunities. EFF will expose corruption in government institutions. Eff will build sports ground in 2024. Building of access roads at Xhora and Umtata.EFF said they have community contract focus on people’s need
- UDM MANIFES BY
UDM will develop job creation programs to increase economy .UDM councillors will remain true representatives and servants off people .Clean and ethical government with accountability .Changing institutional culture and separation of powers .Finance management within the municipalities .Unemployed people will have access to houses , electricity and sanitation .Basic services to disadvantaged people ( disabled and elderly ) .Community involvement in community services .Meaningful role of traditional leaders and maintaining relationships .
COMPULSORY QUESTION FOR ALL PARTIES
What can be done to support the youth that is washing cars on the side of the road from OR Tambo District Municipality because they already have a vision and mission statement. The program director said he did not hear any political party that have a clean manifesto about supporting youth who started their business to eradicate poverty.
APC: The organisation is supporting the youth by providing soap and polish every month. ANC said skills will be provided to strengthen youth small businesses. DA said youth will be given mandate after 1 November 2021 to make change over youth unemployment. EFF promised that 50% of youth and women will be part of community programmes. Other political parties did not answer the questions instead had a follow up question to APC that where the money from to support car washes, APC said the funds comes from their project and use it to contribute on small community projects. APC also accommodate youth with skills.
QUESTION TO PARTIES
- Mr Cingo from ATM asked to ANC that how to deal with issue of leaking houses build for vulnerable people in ward 12?
- Mr Sobayeni asked that how to resolve issue of government satellite offices who do not provide other services to people instead refer them to Lusikisiki ?
- Mr Jinomba (UDM) asked EFF how are they going to fix the situation of water pipes that have been buried under underground with no running water because 32wards have a same problem?
- Mr Makalana from APC asked ATM what strategy they will use to change nepotism in municipalities and where to get money to pay traditional leaders?
- Mr Hlongwana from DA asked APC that how long will it take to implement the program of street lights for security purposes in Flagstaff and Lusikisiki town because its almost 27 years of democracy but town still have no lights?
- Miss Mbutho from UDM asked DA that what is the role played by them in job creation in their municipalities of operation?
- Miss Sonkxwe from APC asked UDM that how they will decrease prices of food in this economy?
- ANC was asked about the paraffin delivered to ward committees and councillors during the night but not given to communities only given to their family member. ANC did not answer that question.
- ANC said infrastructure is in their budget it only needs implementation strategy. Mr Mding said people live in houses built by ANC since democracy started so people must stop criticising everything.
- The issue of satellite offices will be discussed in IDP forums with government departments.
- UDM said if the party is successfully elected and given a chance to lead it will correct all problems done by ANC.
- 4. ATM responded by saying it will stop corruption in all angles of work locally, provincially and nationally.
- APC responded that all activities are stated in their manifesto so implementation will depend in budget if being elected.
- DA responded saying in its working areas youth participated in the implementation of skills development and youth programs.
AUDIENCE QUESTIONS AND CLARITIES (GENERALLY)
What did ANC said about the N2 road that have lot of potholes .The ANC said is waiting for the budget to maintain road ,people must be patient because processes are too long and depends on national government .Many questions were based to ANC as a ruling party talking about corruption happening at Ingquza Hill Local Municipality and in OR Tambo district Municipality .Poor services delivery issues in Home Affairs , Social Development and other institutions .ANC was also asked about the strategy used to nominate people who must receive RDP houses because in most cases people with RDP houses are relatives of ANC members ,food parcels are also in the garage rooms of ANC leaders so people wanted to know how to deal with that corruption issue .ANC said selection is done by ward councillors and corruption must be reported immediately to deal it , ANC said there are special team dealing with corruption so that everyone will be entitled to service delivery .People are confused that ANC repeatedly changing its leadership especially here at Ingquza because community members ended up not knowing who is doing what in the municipality and what role do people play. People wanted to know why ANC have divisions called SIM 1 & SIM 2, what are they promising people if they are elected. The ruling party is not united it needs introspection and have faith to their leadership.
All political party leaders appreciated Flagstaff Community Advice Centre who managed to conduct such an informative and big event that it gave a platform to discuss about Local Government Elections 2021.Parties advised community members to go and vote for their political parties of choice as per promised manifestos. Time management by program director and team of Paralegal showed discipline and respect. Paralegal Program’s manager appreciated time and effort from the community at large including political parties. Organisation said is looking forward to work will all leaders in the community development processes and its implementation.
INTERVIEWS BY INKONJANE COMMUNITY RADIO STATION
All political parties were interviewed by the radio for media purpose and to know the parties feel about the indaba. The radio also visited the office to get more information about the indaba, how was successfully conducted, challenges faced and successes.
THE ORGANISATION REALLY THANK FREEDOM HOUSE BY SUPPORTING US TO CONDUCT SUCH A BIG EVENT. THE PROGRAM MAKES MORE VISIBILITY OF ORGANISATION TO PEOPLE AND IN HUMAN RIGHTS PROGRAM. DUE TO THE IMPLEMENTATION PEOPLE CONTINUE TO KNOW AND TRUST THE ORGANISATION
# THANK YOU FREEDOM HOUSE 3